Roof damage is no laughing matter, as one small opening can wreak havoc on your entire home. You'll want to carefully consider many factors when deciding how to fix your roof.
Should You Repair or Replace Your Roof? Thoughts from a Roofer in Centennial, CO
On average, you can expect your roofing system to last around 20-30 years. If you choose a higher-quality roofing material, your roof might stick around for even longer.
Still, no roof lasts forever. Roof repairs can help extend the lifespan of your roof by a few years, but they aren't a permanent fix to the problem. Inevitably, everyone needs to get their roof replaced.
When to Get Roof Repair Services
Roof repairs encompass a broad range of repair services, like patching leaks, replacing damaged shingles, or realigning your gutters. Many instances of wind damage or hail damage can be quickly addressed by a few repairs.
That said, repairs won't work in every situation. It can help to ask yourself, or a professional roofing contractor, a few questions like:
- How old is your roof? - If it's getting close to the 20-year mark, replacing might be the way to go.
- What is the current condition of your roof? - If the damage is isolated to one area, repairs will likely do the trick.
- How long do you plan to stay in this house? - A new roof will boost your home value, while a few repairs won't.
When to Get a Roof Replacement
A roof replacement is a more labor-intensive project. Your roofers will remove the old materials to expose the deck underneath, address any repairs to the sheathing, rafters, and trusses, and install a whole new system on top of your home.
Generally speaking, it will usually be obvious that you need a new roof. Is one area of your roof sagging? Has a tree fallen on top of your home? Has the damage affected multiple areas of your roof? In all of these cases, you'll likely need a brand-new roofing system.
Make sure you carefully weigh the questions outlined above when making your decision here. It's also worthwhile to see if you have a viable insurance claim. If so, your homeowner's insurance policy may cover the costs of your roof replacement!
Pros and Cons of Roofing Repairs
If you're still on the fence about your decision, take a look at the advantages and disadvantages of these roofing services.
- Roof repairs are far more affordable than complete replacements. Minor repairs, like patching a few small leaks, could cost as little as $150 (Forbes).
- Most repairs can be completed within a few hours and usually don't take longer than a day.
- Repairs will prolong the lifespan of your roof, allowing you more time to get your ducks in a row.
- Depending on your roofing contractor, it may be difficult to match the colors of your replacement shingles with your old ones.
- Under-qualified roofing crews may deliver poor workmanship and subpar repairs. This can lead to additional roofing issues.
- Surface level repairs may not address the underlying problems in your roof.
Pros and Cons of Replacing Your Roof
On the flip side, a roof replacement is a bigger home improvement project. And it comes with its own set of advantages and disadvantages.
- All of your roofing problems will be fixed, including the ones underneath your shingles.
- A brand-new roof may help save you money in the long run, especially since it will last longer than simple repairs.
- It will help improve your curb appeal and boost your home value.
- In many cases, a new roof will lead to greater home energy efficiency and lower utility bills.
- It will take at least one entire day (if not more) to finish your roof replacement (ExpertHomeReport). And high-end materials, like tile roofing, will take even longer to replace.
- A roof replacement is a more expensive project; the average national cost for a new roof is around $8,000 (Forbes).
- These roof renovations will require more materials and labor.
Book Your Roof Inspection with our Roofer in Centennial, Colorado
So, which is better for your home? A roof replacement or a few repairs? We can't say for sure until we see your property in person!
At Ethos Roofing & Restoration, we offer FREE roof inspections throughout the Denver metro area and beyond. We'll send a skilled roofing expert to your property to properly evaluate your roof damage.
After a thorough inspection, we'll have identified the root causes of your damage and will offer recommendations on how to best solve the issues. This way you'll have peace of mind knowing you're making a well-informed decision for your home.
Contact Ethos today to schedule your FREE roof inspection with our top-rated roofer in Centennial, Colorado.