At Ethos, we strive to prioritize homeowner education at every turn. That's why we asked our roofers to develop this insightful step-by-step guide to the roof replacement process.
How To Start Your Roof Replacement In Mobile, AL
Between your insurance claim, the project timeline, and your daily responsibilities, there's a lot to keep track of with a roofing project. You can quickly feel overwhelmed by all the moving pieces.
Just remember to take the process one step at a time.
1. Find A Reliable Roof Replacement Contractor
To kick things off on the right foot, you need to find a trustworthy roofing contractor for the job. There are tons of different roofers in Mobile, AL, and they can vary drastically in terms of quality, professionalism, and customer service. Choosing the wrong contractor can spell disaster for your roofing project.
For that reason, you need to take your time and research your options carefully. When you're looking for a local roofing company, make sure you look into things like:
- Years of experience - How long has the company been in operation?
- A local home base - It's best to avoid storm chaser contractors. Make sure your roofers are local to the area.
- Insurance and proper licensing - Never work with a roofer who lacks insurance or a contractor license.
- Glowing customer reviews - Check out real-world customer reviews on third-party platforms like Google. Those reviews can provide insight into a given roofing contractor.
- Experience with insurance claims - Do any of the reviews mention insurance claims? Insurance experience can be invaluable for roofing contractors.
- Examples of their craftsmanship - Look around for any photos that you can find of past roofing projects. Those images will offer glimpses into the quality of work you can expect.
If you find a roofer who checks off all these boxes, you'll likely have an exceptional roof replacement experience.
Once you've found a few good roofing companies, schedule in-person inspections with 1-3 companies. Those inspections will help you evaluate each roofing contractor a little further.
2. Select The Right Roofing Materials
Once you've found trustworthy roofers for your roof replacement, the next step is to select the right materials. And believe us, you have a lot of options to choose from. From asphalt shingles and metal seams to clay tiles and more, there are many options you'll want to consider.
In Alabama, metal roofing materials tend to be the most popular among homeowners. This material offers greater longevity, better durability, improved safety and energy efficiency, and many other benefits (State Farm).
However, you should select the materials that make the most sense for your needs. Your roofers can provide expert recommendations on the right materials that will best fit your home, area, and budget.
3. Finalize The Replacement Details
Following their inspection of your property, your roofer will provide you with an estimate for your roof replacement. Before you throw all your weight behind one roofer, you'll want to clarify and confirm the details of your replacement.
Will your roofers simply add a new layer of shingles to the top of your old ones? Or will they remove multiple layers of roofing materials from your roof to get to the underlayment? When will the roof replacement begin? And when will it end?
It's important to be on the same page as your roofing contractor. Make sure you talk through the contract so that you understand the details of your roof replacement.
4. Replace Your Roof
With all the details ironed out, your roofing contractor can get to work. Each roof replacement project is different from the last. However, reliable roofers will follow a series of steps:
- Place protective features around your property to mitigate hazards and accidental property damage
- Remove the damaged/old shingles from the roofing system
- Replace any pieces of damaged wood underneath the shingles
- Lay new sheathing and roofing paper to protect against water damage
- Lay and install the new shingles
- Install metal drip and flashing when applicable
- Clean up the project site and take down the protective features.
Soon enough, your home will have a new and improved roofing system protecting you and your family.
Get Started On Your Roof Replacement In Mobile, AL
If your home could use a new roof, you've come to the right place. Since 2006, our roofers have been repairing and replacing roofs of all shapes, sizes, and styles. Our experienced roofers can expertly replace your roof and back it up with unparalleled warranty offers.
Contact Ethos today to schedule your FREE roofing inspection and get started on your roof replacement in Mobile, AL.